Air India Case Study 2023 –
Air India is the flag carrier airline of India and was founded in 1932. It is owned by the Indian government and operates a fleet of domestic and international flights to various destinations worldwide. In this case study, we will examine the marketing strategy adopted by Air India and its impact on the airline’s performance.
Marketing Strategy of Air India:
- Branding and Advertising: Air India has successfully branded itself as the ‘Maharaja of the Skies.’ The airline’s distinctive logo and livery make it stand out from other airlines. Air India has also invested heavily in advertising to promote its services. The airline has launched several ad campaigns across various media platforms, including television, print, and social media. These campaigns have helped to create brand awareness and attract new customers.
- Customer Service: Air India has always prioritized customer service. The airline has implemented several initiatives to enhance the customer experience, such as providing in-flight entertainment, comfortable seating, and excellent food and beverage options. Air India also offers a frequent flyer program that rewards loyal customers with discounts and other benefits.
- Pricing Strategy: Air India has adopted a competitive pricing strategy with other airlines. The airline offers various fare classes that cater to different customer segments. The airline also offers promotions and discounts to attract and retain new customers.
- Route Expansion: Air India has expanded its route network to reach new destinations worldwide. The airline has partnered with other airlines to offer its customers more flight options. This strategy has helped to increase Air India’s market share and attract new customers.
- Digital Marketing: Air India has invested in digital marketing to reach a wider audience. The airline’s solid online presence has been using social media platforms to engage with customers and promote its services. Air India also has a mobile app that allows customers to book flights, check flight status, and manage their bookings.
Impact of Marketing Strategy on Air India’s Performance:
Air India’s marketing strategy has significantly impacted the airline’s performance. The airline has been able to increase its market share and attract new customers through its branding and advertising campaigns. Air India’s focus on customer service has also helped to improve customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Air India’s pricing strategy has enabled the airline to remain competitive with other airlines, while its route expansion has helped to reach new markets and expand its customer base. The airline’s digital marketing efforts have helped increase its online presence and engage with customers.
Despite these positive results, Air India has faced challenges, such as increased competition from low-cost airlines and financial difficulties. However, the airline’s marketing strategy has helped to mitigate these challenges and maintain its position in the market.
In conclusion, Air India’s marketing strategy has successfully created brand awareness, attracted new customers, and retained existing ones. The airline’s focus on customer service, pricing, route expansion, and digital marketing has enabled it to remain competitive and adapt to changing market conditions.
Air India Expansion Marketing Strategy –
Air India’s expansion story has been marked by its efforts to modernize its fleet and expand its route network to reach new destinations worldwide. In 2005, Air India announced a significant aircraft order for 68 Boeing 737s and 787s, with options for an additional 50 aircraft.
Later in 2006, the airline announced another significant aircraft order for 68 Airbus A320s and A330s. The order also included options for an additional 43 aircraft. These orders marked a significant step towards Air India’s efforts to modernize its fleet and improve its operational efficiency.
In 2007, Air India placed another significant aircraft order for 50 Boeing 777-200LR and 777-300ER aircraft. The order also included options for an additional 15 aircraft. This order was significant as it helped Air India expand its long-haul operations and compete with other major international airlines.
In 2018, Air India announced another significant aircraft order for 100 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, with deliveries scheduled to begin in 2019. However, the delivery of the aircraft was delayed due to the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft following two fatal crashes.
Air India has ordered 470 aircraft from Boeing and Airbus, making it one of the most significant aircraft orders in the history of commercial aviation. This reflects the airline’s commitment to modernizing its fleet and expanding its operations to reach new markets and customers.
However, Air India has faced financial difficulties in recent years, which have led to delays in the delivery of some of its aircraft. Nevertheless, the airline’s expansion story and major aircraft orders demonstrate its determination to remain competitive and adapt to changing market conditions.
Featured Image Credit: MoneyControl